King George V School often shortened to "KGV" (pronounced as: K-G-Five) is a co-educational international secondary school of the English Schools Foundation, located in the Ho Man Tin area of Hong Kong. KGV currently serves 1,700 students in the Kowloon peninsula. One of the oldest schools in Hong Kong with a long history and many traditions, the students take GCSEs followed by the International Baccalaureate. KGV has a unit for children with special needs. It is situated in an area of 10.2 acres with purpose-built facilities.
The school first opened in 1894 on Nathan Road and originally catered for Europeans living in Kowloon. At that time the school comprised just one small building. It was destroyed in a typhoon in 1896 and in 1902 Kowloon College opened in its place. A new site was acquired in 1936 and new classrooms and facilities were built. When the Second World Ware broke out, the school was used as a hospital for prisoners of war. After the end of the war, the school re-opened in the summer of 1946 and in 1947, children of all nationalities were able to join the school. It was renamed to King George V School in 1948 and became part of the English Schools Foundation in 1979.
Today, there are approximately more than 1,700 students at KGV representing 30 different nationalities. Students are accepted from many feeder primary schools in the English Schools Foundation such as Kowloon Junior School, Beacon Hill School, and Clearwater Bay School. The school uses a house system to group the students and this forms the basis for all school competitions in sports, music and dance.
The school follows the British school system where the levels are divided into Key Stage 3 (Years 7 to 9), Key Stage 4 (where at the end of this stage, students take GCSE exams in their chosen subjects), and as of 2006, AS Level (Year 12) and A2 Level (GCE Advanced Level for Year 13). As of September 2007, the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme replaced the traditional British A Levels.